Monday, January 16, 2012

Running into the New Year!

Wow, I can't believe the year is already 16 days old!  I wish I could say that I've been running at least 16 days, but sadly, getting back to running has been slow going for me.

 
I told myself that I would run on January 1.  We were actually out of town on that day, but I knew that I needed to get some sort of exercise.  My family and I were staying in this cute little town on the Central Coast  - Cambria.  We stayed at a hotel at the top of a hill in the town, and the hotel had a "path" going from the hotel, down the mountain, and into town.  I say "path" because what the hotel called a path, was more like an intermediate mountain climb.  I knew I was in trouble when the walk down had me sore.  So we ate breakfast and my kids and I began the climb back up the hill.  The whole time I keep telling myself, "I run half-marathons, this shouldn't be too difficult".  Yeah, I'm a half marathon runner.

Well, after going up the hill behind two very fast kids, nearly losing my breakfast, warning 2 people in their 60s that they shouldn't try to come back up after the trek down, and sweating like a weight lifter, I came to a very important realization.  I'm only a half-marathon runner when I actually run half-marathons.  The rest of the time I'm either a runner, or not.  And remembering that I had not run at all between Thanksgiving and January 1, I realized on that day that I was in the "not" category.  

Now, I have to make myself a runner again.


So, I'm looking at the next half-marathon that I want to run.  Baby Boy and I are going to try a new half-marathon race in San Luis Obispo in April.  Since my mountain trek, I've run 3 times...in 2 weeks.  Well, it's a start.  

Thanks for stopping by today!  Hope your running is much more regular than mine has been!

5 comments:

  1. I feel that way with stairs. I can run a marathon but dont ask me to go up to many stairs. I will literally be huffing an puffing all the way up . I dont understand it, but it is what it is.

    Saint Luis in april that is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo! Want to read The Hunger Games. Glad to see you running again. San Luis in the spring sounds wonderful. Have a good first day back at school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Getting back to any kind of routine after a break is never easy, especially when it comes to sports routine... But for me usually it takes just a week or so, if I do it regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to run for miles and miles. But I'll be huffing and catching my breath just for some time. Even in climbing the stairs I would be out of breath. That really saddens me. Ugh!
    dog training gold coast

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in the same boat..haven't really run in Nov. and Dec..now I am paying the price. We will get back into running form, we just have to keep putting one foot in front of the other.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...