Friday, December 31, 2010

Running to a New Year!

I actually love the end of the year.  It's a great time to look back and reflect and to look forward and decide what you want to do differently.  

So, I going to use this beautiful New Year's Eve Friday to look back at 5 of my favorite things from this year!

1.  Favorite book - 
 
I'm amazed that I've been able to read a lot of books lately - but The Help has been my favorite one this year.  What a great story about 4 very different women.  The author set the story's background the 1960s Civil Rights Movement, and all the character's lives are dramatically changed because of their place in time.  I've heard it's going to be turned into a movie - I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing...

2.  Favorite movie - 
 
No, it's not just a movie for kids!  It was the sweetest little movie ever - and I cried when I saw it in the theater and then I cried when we watched it on DVD.  It really makes you think about when to let go and move on. (I'm tearing up just thinking about it!)

3.  Favorite piece of advice - "Don't run someone else's race."  Got this advice in the book Born to Run.  The author was literally saying to keep pace for yourself - don't get sucked in to keeping up with another runner who is not running your pace - you'll blow it before the race is over!  But really, I think it's great advice for life itself.  Be true to who you are - and run your own "race"!  Don't do something just because someone else is doing it!  Be happy with who you are - keep your own pace!

4.  Favorite t-shirt - Ok, I have to admit that it's my own t-shirt.  

I found this at the race expo for the Two Cities Race.  It really made me laugh - and I figured that when you're in the middle of a long race, you really need something that is going to make you smile!  I wore this to the Big Sur Half in November.  Lot's of people laughed and said how much they liked it!  It made people smile - so it was truly a good buy!

5.  Favorite race - The Big Sur Half Marathon.  It isn't really in Big Sur - it's in Monterey and Pacific Grove.  The race course runs through downtown Monterey and out to the ocean.  
  
   
You run about 8 miles oceanside!  Simply the most beautiful scenery you could imagine!  This year runners came from 40 different states and several different countries!  You've got to try it - it's breathtaking - in many ways!

I hope you have many good memories and many favorites to look back on yourself as this year closes out!  I'd love to hear about them! 

May you be blessed in many ways in 2011!   Thanks for stopping by - and have a very Happy New Year!

6 comments:

  1. Happy New Year! That book is on my list to read, Toy Story 3 made me bawl like a baby, and I LOVE that t-shirt.

    Cheers to 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Years! I think I'm way behind on the Toy Story series since I've only seen the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, love that shirt!! Happy New Year :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post and I NEED that t-shirt! That would be perfect to wear to the Disney half I'm doing next weekend...especially because due to an injury I'll be run/walking it! Happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your approach to the end of the year! Looking forward to teh new year and deciding what can be done better and differently is very positive. And I also really like the t-shirt!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just wanted to say that I read The Help also and I really liked it, I like your running shirt. I enjoy following your blog. Good way for me to keep in touch,
    Aunt Linda

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...