Sunday, January 23, 2011

Running with New Friends!

Well, after much contemplation, I decided that I couldn't be happy without pets in my life.  I just love the idea of the selfless love that pets give you.  They don't get in bad moods, they don't hold grudges, they don't wake up cranky...I missed that simple, pure,  love and affection.  Still, I couldn't get over the bad feeling of getting a new kitty so soon after Simon died.  But, I figured, we saved Simon from the side of the road - he would want another kitty to be saved as well.  His heart was that big!

So, we went to a local shelter, The Cat House on the Kings.  I had done some research on the internet, and saw some picture of available kitties.  They had a lot of Siamese kittens - I've got a thing for Siamese.  One in particular was calling out to me.  He had one eye.  That's me - a sucker for the most needy.

The kids and I made a weekend trip to the shelter and on the way I asked the kids how they would feel about adopting a one-eyed cat.  My daughter said no.  Well, we got to the shelter and fell in love with this little guy.  It wasn't the one from the website, but he was just as cute.  We named him Captain Jack!



We also fell in love with this little cutie!  We call her Sophie!


I gotta tell you, my heart was just filled - truly - there was a lightness in my spirit that I hadn't felt since Simon had passed away.  I'm a pet lover at heart!  I've honestly never been without a pet.  My parents had cats since before I was born, and we always had a dog or a cat in the house.  It was just so empty without one.

Well, Jack hardly ever sits down.  His favorite past time is chasing a laser light - it's our favorite thing to do also!  He's a sweety - even though he bumps into doors and our legs sometimes.  One eye will do that for you!

Sophie is such a little princess.  She's got the cutest little face and a little tiny head!  Please don't think I'm weird - but her head is so cute it's like it would fit right inside your mouth!  Yeah, I know that's weird, and I swear, I would never try it!  I swear!!

So, here we are - 2 new friends in the house.  I'm loving it and the kids are loving it too!  
 
Here's a funny thing - as we were leaving the shelter my daughter looked at me and said, "You know when you were asking about the one-eye cat?  I thought you meant one eye right here!" - and she pointed to the middle of her forehead!  She thought we were going to come home with "Cyclops Cat!"  She's hilarious! 

Thanks for stopping by!

3 comments:

  1. Aww!!! We adopted a one eyed cat, too! :) Pets are the best, aren't they??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, that's hilarious! I would have said no to a one-eye-in-the-middle-of-the-head cat, too!

    Love the name 'Captain Jack' and isn't he one lucky cat to have you for a ... mommy?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Captain Jack definitely needs a pirate eye patch for halloween!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...